History of Twyford URC

Our Church was founded in 1796, as a result of evangelism in villages around Reading, by the Minister and Members of former Broad Street Congregational Church (now Waterstones) in Reading. The current Church was built in 1897 and the hall in 1935, with extensions in the 1960s and 1970s.

We are the only Free Church for a wide geographical area, and the only United Reformed Church for a considerable area. It is worth noting that we are the oldest Church in the village, as the Church of England did not build a Church in the (then) small village until the mid-nineteenth century.

Powered by Church Edit