In the last few years, our churches (St Mary's Twyford, St James Ruscombe and the Twyford URC) came together with the Twyford Village Partnership and St Thomas More Church in Twyford to organise a Living Advent Calendar. This is an idea from Scandinavia that had already proved successful in Henley and Wokingham in previous years. 2013 was our first attempt to do a calendar in Twyford, and it was so good that we had to repeat it every year since.
In each year, during Advent, there was an event on each day, starting with the switch-on of the Christmas lights and ending with the Christmas Eve carol services at St Mary's Church. The events involved the whole community. They were organised by different village organisations:
- the schools (e.g. carol singing at Waitrose or at Bridge House)
- local businesses (e.g. open days, fun activities for families)
- local organisations (e.g. the Age Concern Christmas party, carols singing by the Brownies)
- the churches (e.g. a quiz for school children, Advent services for families, Nine Lessons and Carols)
- and TVP itself (especially the annual Christmas Fayre).
And everybody was invited to come along. Because of the large variety, there was something for everybody.
These are some pictures from the Christingle services at St Mary's in 2013 and 2015:
For further details on the events in 2016 and some more pictures, please see the Twyford Together website.